We adopted two rescue kittens on Sunday. This is Louie realizing he’d just hit the jackpot.
This is me shooting @rattapallax shooting me in studio today for featurette on PRIYA’S SHAKTI to premiere in Mumbai later this year.
Artist Showcase: J. H. Williams III
David Simon on America as a Horror Show
Cate Parr on Etsy
Ever wonder what it’s like to get eaten by a fox…?
The Photographic and Sculptural Blend of Osang Gwon
The artwork of Korean artist Gwon Osang is a unique blend of photography and sculpture. He begins by extensively photographing his subjects, then attaching the photographs to plaster sculptures and molds. The result is a strange mix of two and thee dimensions. Also, while the sculptures may point to classical bronze and marble statues, the photos and poses are much more reminiscent of fashion photography. Thus, the sculptures seem simultaneously heavy and light in physical weight as well as seriousness. They’re especially fitting for a time marked by the abundance of images and hyper-documentation.
Little comic about how to make zucchini bread in these trying times. Dedicated to CB Cebulski, Mike Hardin, Ming Doyle, and anyone else who sunk my zucchini bread deep within their bodies.
I’m coming late to this, but it’s super-fun.
The goddess Parvati incarnating into Priya’s human body #standwithpriya
Putting out fires… WITH GASOLINE!! (David Bowie + Georgio Moroder from Cat People OST)
ok do you see this Legendary Epic woman right here? this is wendy fucking carlos and i’m going to describe to you why wendy carlos is 30 thousand times better than you
- she is a 74 year old trans fucking woman. she remembers having dysphoria at age five and started hrt in 1968. you think transitioning is difficult now? try doing it in 1968. the thought scares the shit out of me.
- her first album, switched on bach, is a literal hour of her playing bach’s music on synthesizers. that’s classical edm. edm wouldn’t exist if she hadn’t brought synthesizers to prominence. the catch? synthesizers in 1968 were monophonic. that means you can only play one note at a time. wendy carlos sat there and played each instrument’s piece of bachs music at least 6 times per symphony, painstakingly overdubbing and rerecording each line, one at a time.
- oh yeah, switched on bach was the first classical album to sell more than 500k copies and she won 3 grammies and stayed on the billboard #1 pop charts for 17 weeks.
- you know tron? that really awesome movie whose sequel daft punk made the ost for? wendy is the original daft punk. tron’s soundtrack was all her; not only that, but so was a clockwork orange and the shining.
- in 1998 this piece of shit momus (aka nick currie on wired) made a song mocking wendy’s sexual orientation. $50k of currie’ money later, she forced him to remove that song from his entire collection, have the master destroyed, and his music career fucking died after that.
figured i’d post this since daft punk keep getting a lot of love. i love daft punk, but they owe their lives to this fucking badass.
HOLY. CRAP. I did not know this.
work work work work work!
Wendy Carlos also scored Kubrick’s ‘Clockwork Orange’ and ‘The Shining.’ She’s a big deal, people.
Back to collage, David Delruelle